Average Depth: 10 feet
Maximum Depth: 23 feet
Kayaks, Canoes, Sail Boats, Electric Motor Boats, Power Boats, State & Local Rules & Regulations Apply, Other Restrictions, See Comments
Boating Comments: See http://lakeboon.com/rules.htm for boating rules.
Swimming: Swimming Allowed, No Restrictions
Lake Boon is a lake in eastern Massachusetts covering about 163 acres in the towns of Stow and Hudson, Massachusetts. It has been an important part of the Stow and Hudson communities since the towns originated. It was originally named Boon Pond, after Matthew Boon, an explorer from Charlestown, Massachusetts who came to the area in 1660. He was the first of two settlers in Stow and was killed by Indians near the Lake on about February 14, 1676. In 1883 a monument was erected in memory of him. The Lake consists of four basins. The first basin made up the original part of the Lake. It is the largest basin of the four and stretches from the Narrows to the dam on Barton Road in Stow. It is the only part of the lake that is completely in Stow. A dam was built in this basin to separate where the lake met the Assabet River and to supply power to a mill in the town of Maynard. It was also created in order to expand the “pond”, now known as the first basin. The expansion went into the Ramshorn Meadow and the Ramshorn Swamp. The meadow area is now known as the Second Basin, while the swamp area is known as the Third and Fourth Basins. The expansion helped locals to recognize this body of water no longer as a pond, but as a lake. The Lake has grown significantly over the years. It is now 163 acres in size, and one and a half miles long. The depth of the First Basin is 23 ft, the deepest part of the lake. The Second Basin is only 10 ft deep, the Third Basin is a mere 7 ft deep, and the Fourth Basin is an incredible 4 ft deep. n age Lake Boon became a hot summer spot towards the end of the 1800’s. It was easily accessible because of two railroad lines that ran by it. These railroad lines came out of Boston, which made the Lake a great summer spot for city dwellers. At this time Lake Boon, had a hotel, many clubs, two post offices, churches, and local stores. In order to get from the railroad stops to the lake's hot spots, a ferry service was put into action. The steamship “Cleo” created a ferry line around 1900 that went from two points: Whitman’s Crossing near the Sudbury Rd bridge in Stow, and the Ordway Station in Hudson. In 1910 a gas powered ferry called the Princess replaced the Cleo. The installment of automobiles into the economy made it easier for people to travel longer distances. Therefore this small vacation spot became obsolete, and made way for permanent residents to live here instead of only visiting here. With the lack of visitors and increase in residents, the hotel was shut down. These days Lake Boon serves as a very important part of the Stow and Hudson communities. In the summer it provides a place for camps, and swim lessons. The town beach, located in Stow on the First Basin, recently installed new picnic tables and grills to attract families to come and the spend the day. During the summer, the town beach is open to the public.
No Known Issues, Town/State Monitoring
Vegetation Growth: Minimal
Non-native Species: Unknown
Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Chain Pickerel, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, Brown Bullhead, Sunfish, Bluegill, Golden Shiner
Ramp Comments: Boat access on Sudbury Road.
Parking Spaces: None
See Google Maps.
Shoreline Development: 50-75%