Flax Pond, MA

Search

Flax Pond


Town(s): Lynn MA
County: Essex

Size: 71 acres
Average Depth: 12 feet
Maximum Depth: 28 feet

Boating Allowed: Kayaks, Canoes, Sail Boats, Electric Motor Boats, Gas Engines Prohibited, Other Restrictions, See Comments
Boating Comments: Trolling motors are allowed.
Swimming: Swimming Allowed, Some Restrictions



This town of Lynn owns and controls this natural great pond and its 1.8 miles of shoreline. The water has a high fertility that provides a good environment for the wide variety of fish species. The shoreline is about 80% developed, with the remaining 20% owned by the city in the form of three parks: 1. Maple Street Park on the northern shore, 2. Chestnut Street Park on the southern shore, and 3. Magnolia Street Park on the western shore. There is a heavy population of an aquatic species called flax, which gives the pond it’s name. At times, it can take over sections of the pond.

Water Quality: Town/State Monitoring
Vegetation Growth: Abundant
Non-native Species:

Fish Species: Largemouth Bass, Chain Pickerel, Carp, Yellow Perch, White Perch, Sunfish, Bluegill

Boat Access: Primarily Car-top boats & Canoes
Ramp Comments: Each park contains space for cartop boat access.
Parking Spaces: Less than 10

Directions: Route 95 to Route 129 towards Lynn, to city center, pond on left.
Shoreline Development: 75-100%